Want to know which fruit and vegetables are in season in September in the UK? Read on to find out!
September has really crept up on us this year, don’t you think? So I’m back sharing the best of what fruit and vegetables are in season this month.
September is a bountiful month for fresh seasonal British produce. So much so, that the shops are bursting with cheap homegrown produce this month. Fruits like blackberries are at their very best, whilst vegetable-wise courgettes and runner beans are also at their peak. Do take a look at the full guide though for more ideas of what to eat in September.
And don’t forget to download the free printer friendly guide to fruit and vegetables in season in September! You can print it off and pop it on your fridge, to help you when meal planning. Alternatively, pop it in your bag for when you go to the supermarket to help remind you at the shops.
The Fruit In Season In September
- Apples (here’s how to use up apples in case you have a glut!)
- Blackberries (try this blackberry and vanilla jam recipe and if you have some left over then here’s a clever trick on how to make blackberries last longer!)
- Bramley Apples
- Crab Apples
- Elderberries (try this delicious spiced elderberry syrup)
- Plums (try this plum porridge recipe)
The Vegetables to Eat Now
There is so much produce in season in September, that the question is where to start!
- Brussels Sprouts (try this tasty Brussels Sprout Gratin)
- Cabbage – Red, White, Savoy and Spring Green
- French Beans
- Lettuce – Cos and Iceberg
- Pak Choi
- Runner Beans
- Spring Onions (see my tip on how to store spring onions to make them stay fresher for longer)
- Squash (try roasting your butternut squash seeds to make a tasty snack too!)
- Wild Mushrooms (see my post on how to dry mushrooms if you have too many!)
The Herbs & Nuts to Eat Now
Don’t forget that it’s not just fruit and vegetables that are in season in September – there are loads of herbs and nuts too.
There’s so much tasty produce on offer that I don’t know where to start! I’m thinking perhaps this recipe for aubergine koftas. It calls for aubergine and spinach – both of which are in season in September. What are you cooking/baking this month? Print off the free guide to help you out!