Hiya! It’s October holidays so I’ve taken a week off to build cardboard igloos, bake fridge cakes, go swimming and other fun stuff. It’s been a busy week but I’m feeling refreshed from a week off writing and have some great post ideas I’m currently working on!
Here are this week’s links for you:
1. How to overcome environmental guilt (in a productive way). An article I contributed to on mindbodygreen on something I’m no stranger to!
2. East Africa is trying to stop the flow of secondhand hands clothes from the West because they are trying to manufacture their own clothes, but it’s proved to be complicated.
3. How ethical trainers won the fashion seal of approval – An interesting look at the rise of Veja, ad their business model. “One reason many brands find it difficult to switch to a more sustainable process and sourcing is because it impacts on margins too much. But for Veja it’s not about being the biggest, the cheapest or the most profitable“.
4. Satsumas and clementines go green in the name of reducing food waste.
5. Iceland is trying to reverse the environmental problems caused by the Vikings more than 1000 years ago.
6. Does your jewellery box contain broken, unwanted or mismatched jewellery? The Alzheimer’s Society are appealing for your unwanted jewellery so that they can recycle them in order to raise funds for their important work on dementia.
7. This is the second best solution to dealing with plastic bags I’ve come across. The best solution would be of course to ban plastic bags but you know, small steps!
8. China bans foreign waste – what’s going to happen to the world’s recycling? China is the dominant market for the UK’s recycled plastic so I’m thinking perhaps this will help drive down the use of single use plastic?
9. There are lots of good uses for cucumbers. This is not one of them. Truly horrifying!
10. This is the best thing I watched this week.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend and – stay safe from Hurricane Brian if you’re in it’s path.