Hiya! Can I ask you a question? Have you seen many wasps this year? At this time of year our garden is normally full of wasps, and every time you open the back door at this time of year, you’re guaranteed to let in at least five wasps. Which isn’t so great because I’m really allergic to wasps (my last sting resulted in a trip to A&E) but I tolerate the buggers because of their important role in our ecosystem.
This year there are barely any wasps in our garden; we’ve had one wasp in our house, and I’ve hardly seen any when I’ve been out and about. I’m starting to worry about the wasps, so do let me know if they are more abundant where you are.
This week’s links for you:
1. This week the uncomfortable news was announced that our tap water contains plastic particles, followed by the news that salt contains plastic. I am slightly worried that this leads to more people drinking bottled water, which is only going to compound the plastic problem, but if this isn’t the wake up call that we need to reduce our plastic usage then I don’t know what is.
2. Related to this is 10 things you can fix in 10 minutes, rather than throwing them in the bin.
4. Of course, it’s not just all about London. This week was a good week to be Scottish. From plans to introduce a deposit return scheme for plastic and glass bottles and cans, to the plans to phase out petrol and diesel cars 8 years before the rest of the UK, and funding for walking, cycling and public transport improvements to double these are all great things for the environment.
5. I really enjoyed Leah’s eloquent piece on ‘why I quit being an ethical purist‘. Leah says “we’re wasting our time and muddying our message by striving for perfection wrapped into an individual garment“, and couldn’t agree more with her.
6. This 16 year old makes the most stunning vegan desserts and breakfasts.
7. I bought one of these £5.99 kits on Etsy* and am currently whiling away my evenings tying knots. It’s pretty therapeutic!
8. Would you wear leather grown in a lab?
9. Origami inspired kids clothes that grow with your kids!
10. A fascinating view of Hurricane Harvey – “I downloaded an app. And suddenly, was part of the Cajun Navy“.
Finally, three things from the Moral Fibres archives you might have missed:
Enjoy your Sunday! We have two kids parties in a row to attend today – tonight is definitely going to involve wine!