Want to know which fruit and vegetables are in season in May in the UK? Check out my full guide below.
Last year I told you what to sow now, but what about what fruit and vegetables to buy now? Our garden is tiny and not anywhere near large enough to sustain the three of us in fruit and vegetables all year round. As such, we turn to the shops for most of our supply at the moment.
I don’t know about you, but sometimes I find it hard to remember what fruit and vegetables are in season just now as it’s so easy to buy what you want, regardless of the season, anytime you want from the supermarket.
Seasonal fruit and vegetables grown in the UK are so full of flavour, compared to say tasteless strawberries bought in January. But it’s not just the taste that’s better: seasonal fruit and veg are often cheaper than their out of season counterparts. And, another huge plus point: their carbon footprint is often considerably lower than unseasonal fruit and vegetables.
Rhubarb and asparagus are at their best in May, but here’s a little run-down of what other fruit and vegetables are in season in May in the UK. I’ve also put together a printer friendly PDF version of this guide so can print it off and pin it to your fridge or keep in your bag when you head out to the shops. Download the Fruit and Veg in Season in May now!
The Fruit to Eat Now
There’s very little fruit in season right now. But don’t worry, May sees the end of the hungry gap. Next month we’ll see a lot more British fresh fruit available.
- Rhubarb – try this delicious boozy rhubarb cordial if you fancy something a bit different to making crumble with your rhubarb.
The Vegetables In Season in May
- Cucumber – try this pickled cucumber recipe
- Jersey Royal New Potatoes
- Lettuce (Lamb’s and Curly)
- Spinach – try these vegetarian spinach recipes
- Spring Onions – find out how to store spring onions, so they stay fresher for longer
- Wild Nettles – try this wild nettle pesto recipe
The Herbs to Eat Now
- Mint – here’s how to dry mint leaves for tea
After looking at all these lovely vegetables in season in May I’m hankering after a nice spring potato salad topped with spring onions or chives! What’s on your menu this month?
ps: don’t forget to download and print the PDF!