Struggling to buy eco-friendly or ethical gifts for babies, kids and teens? Try my guide to ethical gifts for every age.
Can you believe that it’s Christmas in just over two weeks? Where has the time gone? I’ve managed to put together the last in my installment of eco-friendly or ethical gifts and ideas just in time! This time it’s for the younger people in your life – from babies and toddlers, through to kids, and right through to teens. For babies, toddlers and kids I’ve deliberately picked ethical gifts that are unisex as I’m personally not a fan of gender-specific toys. I’ve also kept my picks to no more than £35, and as always EF denotes eco-friendly and FT denotes fair-trade.
Ethical Gifts for Babies And Toddlers
1. Octopus Rattle (£4.25) (FT) no longer available but this is similar – fun for small hands
2. Play Camera (£15) (EF, FT) – perfect for stimulating the imagination
3. Wooden Shape Sorter Bus (£18.98) (EF, FT) – a fun, brightly coloured bus
4. Felt Slippers (£24.95) (FT) – the cutest slippers ever (also available in different animal designs AND adult sizes!)
5. Toy Drum (£17.99) (EF, FT) – a great gift for other people’s kids!
6. Bunny Ears Egg Cup (£18) (EF, FT) – an heirloom piece.
Eco-Friendly Gifts for Kids
1. Wooden Toy Spaghetti Set (£11.88) (EF, FT) – for budding chefs!
2. Wooden Till (£20.99) (EF, FT)- I can remember playing “shops” for hours on end – great for numeracy skills too.
3. Wooden Railway Set (£25.99) (EF, FT)- I’m hard pressed to think of any little kids not obsessed with trains!
4. Wooden Build-A-Robot Toy (£19.99) (EF, FT)- my daughter calls them “bobots”. This looks like a lot of fun for little ones!
5. Toy Fire Engine (£35) (EF, FT) – from Traidcraft – sturdy and sure to withstand anything a kid could throw at it!
6. Toy Banjo (£22.98) (EF, FT) – long lasting, durable and fun!
Ethical Gifts for Teenagers
1. Woodbuds headphones (£25) (EF) – these headphones, made by Yorkshire based Woodbuds, are made from FSC certified sustainable plantation hardwood, and bio-plastic cabling; 100% of their packaging is made from recyclable material; and a tree is planted for every 100 products they sell.
2. Makeup Bag (£18) (FT) – I don’t know a teenage girl out there that wouldn’t love this!
3. Plectrum Maker (£22) (EF) – make guitar plectrums out of old plastic
4. Fair Share Music Voucher (from £5) – Fair Share music works like iTunes, where you pay to download tracks and albums by bands. But unlike iTunes, Fair Share Music donates half of the profit from each download to a charity of your choice, including Friends of the Earth, Oxfam, the WWF, Amnesty International, the Teenage Cancer Trust and more.
5. Cardboard Pinhole Camera Kit (£35) (EF, FT) – Got a budding David Bailey on your hands? They’ll love a cardboard pinhole camera kit, that’s designed and manufactured in the UK from recyclable and sustainable products where possible. Even the spare spool that comes with the camera has been reclaimed from darkrooms around London!
6. Annie Greenabelle Voucher (from £1) (FT) – an ethical fashion online shop that’ young and fresh, and doesn’t charge sky-high prices.
7. Woollen Hat (£17) (FT) – handmade in the UK.
More eco-friendly gift ideas this way!