Help me source the best eco-friendly, organic, cruelty-free, and plastic-free makeup and beauty brands.

sustainable makeup uk

A brief history of my life thus far

  • Birth – 1993 – childhood.  Riding my bike, Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure, Thundercats.
  • 1994 – 1999 – Early teenage years.  Listening to music, going to gigs in Glasgow, planning what gigs we should go to next, formulating how to get into 18+ gigs when you’re 16 and look about 12, saving up for gig tickets, going to music festivals.  Essentially, music.  And camping.  A lot of camping.
  • 1999 – 2001 – Early university years and all that comes with moving away from home for the first time.  Including the discovery of 50p alcoholic drinks in the university union.
  • 2002 – Travelling.  Living out of an (ethical) backpack for the best part of a year.
  • 2003 – 2005 – Later university years – in short, trying to be more responsible, but still going to a lot of parties.  Also having a lot of part-time jobs.  The most memorable being a job in a cafe that I lasted one shift in.  Reason for leaving so hastily?  They asked me to belly dance… Seriously.
  • 2006 – 2009 – Actual proper job territory.  Trying to be a proper grown-up – achieving it at least 70% of the time.  Don’t ask about the remaining 30%.
  • 2009 – Homeownership – for this read the run-down flat you bought because it was the only one you could afford is taking up all your money and time trying to make it habitable.
  • 2011 – Present – Small children on the scene so trying to be a proper grown-up, whilst running on 80% less sleep.  Often too tired to operate heavy machinery or drive cars but trusted to look after children.  Constantly looking for my purse, phone, keys, TV remote, etc.  Eventually finding the lost items in really random places and then never being sure if it was me that put them there or the children.

Where Are You Going With This Wendy?!

You might be wondering where I am going with this.  Well, all of this is a particularly long-winded and convoluted way of saying I don’t have a clue about make-up.  I’ve never really devoted any time or energy to learn how to use it.  My teenage years – the prime time to learn about these things – were, as you can see, a bit preoccupied.

I have approximately four things that I put on my face when I want to look less tired. none of which I’ve ever been sure if I’m using correctly.

I’ve recently tried watching tutorials on YouTube but I’ve realised that there are two kinds of people in this world: 1) people who really really love makeup and 2) people like me who have no clue, and wonder why you’d possibly need/want/have time to put 15+ things on your face.  The people on YouTube fall into the first category, which is really rather intimidating for people in the latter category.

You guys have been asking me for ethical and organic and cruelty-free makeup recommendations for some time now, and I feel bad for having let you down on this front.

Tell Me!

With my authority on make up being approximately zero, I thought that instead we could crowdsource this thing.  I’m pretty sure some readers must be more knowledgeable than I.  So, I’m turning to you dear readers!  I’d love to know:

Your favourite eco-friendly makeup brands and products

Your favourite cruelty free brands and products

Your favourite organic brands and products

Your favourite plastic-free brands and makeup products

If the three things can be mutually exclusive then all the better!

Also, if there is anything else you think we need to know about eco-friendly makeup (for example, the best eco-friendly brushes, tools, etc) do let me know.

With your help maybe we could put a guide together.  Pop it all in the comments below or send me an email with your favourites!  And if anyone more qualified than I wants to write a guest post then the gig is yours!  Drop me an email to moralfibres@gmail.com :)

PS: I did manage to put a post together! Here’s my post on plastic-free and zero-waste makeup options! Thanks so much for all of your help!

Found this post useful?  You can buy me a virtual coffee to help support the site’s running costs.  You can also sign up for the free Moral Fibres monthly newsletter to get all the latest eco news and ideas straight to your inbox.