Hello! Had a relaxing weekend so far? Ours has so far involved snow, rugby, comfort food and making up batches of homemade cleaning products – like some of this fabric refresher spray, the recipe of which is in Fresh Clean Home. Speaking of Fresh Clean Home, Juliet of the blog Creative Colour wrote a lovely review of the book that left me grinning from ear to ear.
On to this weekend’s links:
1. If you are looking for the feel-good read of the week then look no further than this – the city of Melbourne assigned trees email addresses so citizens could report problems. Instead, people wrote thousands of love letters to their favourite trees. “Case in point: Dear 1037148,” wrote one admirer to a golden elm in May. “You deserve to be known by more than a number. I love you. Always and forever.”
3. Related: could the war on plastic do more harm than good? Some interesting viewpoints here on plastics.
4. What you need to know about the newer, nastier fast fashion brands.
5. You know time’s up on oil when one of the oldest oil companies in the world doesn’t want the word oil in its name.
6. A long, but great read into what happens when bitcoin miners take over your town – “the region is watching uneasily as one of its biggest natural resources—a gigantic surplus of hydroelectric power—is inhaled by a sector that barely existed five years ago and which is routinely derided as the next dot-com bust”.
7. In a sea of bad news – this piece on 12 emerging global trends that bring hope for 2018 – makes for a positive read.
8. One for fellow map lovers – this literal world map is fascinating. Some of my favourite literal translations of country names include Spain – “Land of Many Rabbits” and Nauru – “I Go To The Beach”.
9. Aurora borealis enthusiasts: meet Steve.
10. Finally, one reality show I’d love to watch, out of sheer intrigue more than anything else!
Have a lovely Sunday! I am currently working on a very exciting video (!) with a very special guest – so it will be winging it’s way to you shortly!
PS: catch up on 11th March’s post here, in case you missed it!