Hello! How are you? We are in the midst of some pretty major home renovations. In a couple of days, all the walls of our upstairs are being pulled down, so we have spent the last little while stripping wallpaper and moving every single item from upstairs and trying to fit it downstairs in some kind of Tetris style game, but one that is the exact polar opposite of fun.
Because we’re on a pretty tight budget for the renovations, we’ve decided to stay in the house whilst the works are going on. This means we are going to be sleeping in the living room for the foreseeable future, which is going to be fun… We have spent the last three years sleeping in a bedroom with a threadbare ancient carpet, a big hole in the wall and no insulation so I just keep telling myself it’s all going to be worthwhile, but it’s not making the prospect of camping in the living room for an undisclosed amount of time any more appealing.
This week’s links:
1. First off, it’s time to celebrate! The EU this week agreed to a total ban on bee-harming pesticides!
3 To add to the list of cool things I never knew before: trees may have a heartbeat so slow that we never noticed it.
4. Change is possible, and the results can be incredible.
5. It’s tough to be a sustainable dairy farmer. A sobering tale of how tough it is to produce sustainable, kind milk.
6. Relatedly, I saw this milk vending machine on TV the other night and now all I can think is how amazing it would be to have them all over the country.
7. Why having just 33 items of clothing could mean you have more to wear. I don’t know about you but I feel I need to memorise this part:
“You are not – and I say this from experience – a travelling mime company and you do not need seven black-and-white striped T-shirts“.
8. In unexpectedly progressive news, all primary schools in Edinburgh will now be meat-free on Mondays. I did not see this coming, but it’s very warmly welcomed!
10. Finally, this video on chickens that have been introduced to a nursing home to combat loneliness was the best thing I watched this week.
Have a good weekend! Posting will be light until our house resumes some level of normality, so do bear with me! I will share photos once we’re done!
PS: if you missed it, do catch up on 22nd April’s Ten Things post.