Spice up your mornings with this tasty organic porridge with cinnamon spiced roast plum recipe.
Right now I’m enjoying the early autumnal walk back from school as I drop my eldest off for the day. The journey there is always a rush to get out the door and to get to school in time, but the journey back is a much more placid affair.
My youngest and I can take our time and wander slowly home, saying hiya to all the neighbourhood cats and dogs, and watching the leaves go plip as they fall from the trees. Because autumn is happening, whether you like it or not. I found my first conker today. Just saying.
Once we get home it’s my time for breakfast. I never have time before school to eat so I make a point of taking time to eat a hearty breakfast once I get home. That morning walk always works up a serious appetite!
For The Love Of Porridge
I love porridge, particularly when the seasons transition from summer to autumn. Here, on a cold day, a cold breakfast just doesn’t quite cut the mustard anymore. On those chilly mornings when you feel like you need something warm and comforting for breakfast, there’s nothing quite like a bowl of porridge to fill you up and warm your cockles.
As good as porridge is, I quite like to add some variation to my porridge depending on what’s in season. When it comes to fruit and vegetables in season in September, it’s all about the plums. While fresh chopped plums are pretty good in porridge, for a little extra treat when I’m feeling fancy I will roast my plums with honey and cinnamon for a sweet and spiced healthy breakfast of kings.
We have a huge plum tree on our allotment and have an abundance of them right now. What makes me extra happy is that our plums are grown organically. We don’t use any pesticides or herbicides on our allotment.
Why Choose Organic?
I also try to buy organic foodstuff where possible, where my budget allows. There are myriad reasons to buy organic. Not least because it’s better for us, better for the environment, better for wildlife, and better for farmers and farm workers. My daughter so sweetly used to describe fairtrade as “something that makes the farmers happy”, which I think could definitely be applied to organic food as well!
Organic Porridge with Cinnamon Spiced Plum Recipe
Makes one portion
I’ve put links to Ethical Superstore, where you can buy the ingredients organically, in case you can’t find them locally.
- Approx 30g organic oats
- Approx 250 ml water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 organic plum
- 1/2 teaspoon organic honey or maple syrup
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Splash of organic milk or vegan milk (optional)
- A handful of organic walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 170°C / 150°C fan oven / gas mark 3
- Slice your plum in half and remove the stone.
- Place your plum halves cut side up in an oven dish. Drizzle them with the honey and sprinkle the cinnamon on top.
- Place in the oven for around 15 mins.
- After 10 minutes of roasting time, prepare the porridge as per the instructions on your packet of oats. I find that adding around 30ml of oats and 250ml water, with a pinch of salt, and bringing that to the boil, and then stirring vigorously for one minute does the trick for me. However, you might have your own preferred porridge technique that I don’t want to get in the way of!
- Add a splash of milk (if you want to make creamier porridge) and stir well. Finally, top with your honey roast plums and a few chopped walnuts and sit back and enjoy!
Do also check out my post on other vegetarian breakfast ideas. I’ve got so many ideas!