I mentioned the other week that I’ve been considering buying a slow cooker (this £25 one*). And then I wondered just how much use I would get out of it, because I’m vegetarian and the majority of slow cooker recipes I seem to have come across have been meat based. So I’ve been doing a little research to see if I can find any vegan and vegetarian slow cooker recipes, and I feel like I hit the jackpot. I found so many great looking vegan and vegetarian slow cooker recipes that I thought it would be useful to share them all here with you, in case you have a slow cooker or are considering buying one.
Here are 25 vegan and vegetarian slow cooker recipes (after the jump) that will keep you going all autumn and winter! I plan on trying each and every one of them!
25 Vegan and Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes
1. Butternut Squash Chili With Porter from Oh My Veggies is both vegetarian and vegan and is flavoured with beer for a unique taste.
2. Slow Cooker Aubergine from BBC Good Food is vegetarian but can be made vegan by omitting the feta at the end.
3. Madras Curry from Family Circle is both vegan and vegetarian.
4. Sweet Potato and Coconut Curry from BBC Good Food is vegetarian and vegan and warming on a cold day.
5. Mexican Quinoa Tacos from Chelsea’s Messy Apron are again vegetarian and vegan and look amazing!
6. The Garlic Mashed Potatoes from Damn Delicious are vegetarian, just remember to swap the Parmesan for vegetarian hard cheese!
7. Red Lentil Dal from Cafe Johnsonia is vegetarian and vegan and I think first on my list of slow cooker recipes to make!
8. Tuscan Tortellini from Nosh and Nourish is vegetarian, and looks divine.
9. Vegetarian Chili Macaroni from Kristine’s Kitchen. I love chili and I love macaroni, but I have never thought to combine the two. What have I been doing for the last 36 years?!
10. Enchilada Orzo from Damn Delicious is vegetarian and looks in a similar vein to the chili macaroni. Yum!
11. Three Bean Chili from Cookin’ Canuck because you can’t go wrong with a classic vegetarian and vegan friendly chili.
12. Slow Cooker Tagine from BBC Good Food is vegetarian and perfect for cold grey days, when you feel like you need some spice!
13. Pasta e Fagioli Soup from Kalyn’s Kitchen. Again, swap the Parmesan for vegetarian hard cheese to make it vegetarian. It’s a pet peeve of mine that people forget that Parmesan isn’t vegetarian yet claim their dish is vegetarian. It’s something to watch out for, particularly in restaurants.
14. Vegetarian Minestrone Soup from Little Spice Jar, because is it even autumn if there isn’t any minestrone. Again, check the Parmesan.
15. Veggie Crockpot Lasagna from Pinch of Yum. I had no idea you can make lasagna in a slow cooker!
16. Potato and Corn Chowder from Damn Delicious. Sub the chicken stock for vegetable stock to make it vegetarian.
17. White Bean and Fennel Soup from Family Circle. Skip the cheese at the end and it’s all vegan. Full disclosure: I had to look up what an escarole is. It’s an endive, similar to chicory, apparently.
18. Creamy Pumpkin Soup from Cafe Johnsonia is vegan thanks to the use of coconut milk to make it creamy. Doesn’t it look good?
19. Italian Vegetable Bake from BBC Good Food is vegetarian friendly.
20. Vegan Jambalaya from Connoisseurus Veg looks amazing!
21. Butternut Squash Macaroni from Healthy Slow Cooking can be made vegan or vegetarian to suit, and is a healthier twist on the comfort food classic.
22. Aubergine Parmesan from Wendy Polisi because calling it Eggplant Parmesan just sounds wrong! I always thought something like this would be tricky to make, but it actually looks pretty easy!
23. Coconut Quinoa Curry from Simply Quinoa is vegan and vegetarian friendly and looks so flavourful!
24. Hearty Veggie Chowder from Family Circle is vegetarian, and so straightforward to make.
25. And finally, vegetarian Quinoa and Black Bean Stuffed Peppers from Pinch of Yum. Just look at them!
Any favourite vegan or vegetarian slow cooker recipes to share? Or favourite slow cooker recipe books? Let me know in the comments below!