Want to know which fruit and vegetables are in season in August in the UK? I’ve got all the details.
Aah, August. August is probably my favourite summer month, produce-wise. The shops are just heaving with fresh local produce. August sees cos lettuce, plums, and raspberries at their best. However, there are heaps and heaps of other stuff in season too right now – check out my guide to what fruit and vegetables are in season in August.
And don’t forget to print off the free printer-friendly version of this list to help you when you are meal planning, or to help you to buy British when you’re at the shops. You can find it here.
The Fruit In Season In August
There is a ton of fruit in season in August. Go wild with this lovely lot.
- Blackberries (try this blackberry and vanilla jam, and also tips on how to make berries last longer)
- Bramley Apples
- Gooseberries (try this Gooseberry Clafoutis recipe!)
- Strawberries (recipes to try: Strawberry Scones; Strawberry Butter; Strawberry & Basil Cocktail)
The Vegetables In Season In August
Similarly, you’re spoiled for choice when it comes to vegetables in season in August:
- Broad Beans
- Cabbage (Red, Savoy and Spring Green)
- Cucumber (see this pickled cucumber with fennel flowers recipe – it’s so tasty!)
- French Beans
- Jersey Royal Potatoes
- Kohl Rabi
- Lettuce (Cos and Iceberg)
- New Potatoes
- Pak Choi
- Runner Beans
- Spring Onions (see this handy guide on how to store spring onions for longer)
The Herbs To Eat Now
Again, there are a load of herbs in season, just ripe for the picking:
- Mint (check out my guide on how to dry mint leaves for tea)
- Parsley (curly and flat-leafed)
See what I mean? There is just so much in season in August! What are you planning on cooking or baking this month? I’m all about the cucumber and raspberries this month – I cannot get enough of either! I am very intrigued by this vegan cucumber and cashew curry recipe. I will report back when I’ve tried it!